Monday, September 21, 2009

Trying to figure out the worlds problems.

There are so many things about Roma that I love, but there are many things about it that break my heart. 

As you all know Roma is a big metropolitan city filled with the rich and the poor. Every day on my walk to and from school I pass by the same homeless people.  I am starting to recognize them. They all have there own territory and are in the same spot day in and day out. Some I really like... 

There is this one lady in particular that I really don't think I like very much. Her, three other ladies, and this man beg for money. Which I get and is totally normal for homeless people to do.  But the thing I don't like about them is that they swap babies with each other. They have different kids everyday. It totally reminds me of Slumdog Millionaire. It totally breaks my heart. 

Today it really affected me and made me really upset at these women.  I just wanted to take those kids and bring them some where safe.  questions like these were running through my head: Who are these kids going to grow up to be? Are they even going to make it to adulthood? Do they ever feel love?

It just really makes me thankful for my life, my parents and the opportunities that they have given me, the blessing of having a roof over my head, and food on the table. 

I know this is a random post, but its part my thoughts and life here in Roma. I thought I might share it with you guys. 

5 comments:

  1. Shea, I think your wise beyond your years! It is so nice to follow your blog and see and hear your random postings. Keep safe and have fun on your once in a lifetime adventure.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you would post about this.
    I love that you are noticing and thinking about this...I love that you are wrestling with what it means and how to respond to it.

    I'm super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you should be a teacher..... go rescue those kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Shea! You will do something wonderful with that experience. Embrace the adventure.

    ReplyDelete